When Can I File My Tax Return?

It’s that time of year. With Christmas and New Year only recently behind us, we’re greeted with our next major holiday – tax season.

That brings us to our topic today. You’re likely reading this article for a reason. If you’re one of the many Americans asking the question “When can I file my tax return?”, you’ve come to the right place. 

Here’s what you need to know before filing your taxes for 2019: 

Necessary Documents

Before you submit your tax return, you need to prepare one of three forms. If you were a non-contract employee, then you should be on the lookout for a W-2 form or Wage and Tax statement from everyone you worked for this year.  If you worked as a freelancer anytime in 2019, you’ll have to provide a Form 1099. 

What To Fill Out

Once you receive your form from your employer, you’ll need to fill out the following: 


  • Personal Information
      • Name
      • Address
      • Social Security Number
      • Phone Number


  • Employer Details
      • Names
      • Address
      • Phone Number


  • Working Relationship
    • Dates of Employment
    • Estimate of Paid Wags
    • Federal Income Tax Withheld In 2018


Now that you know what you need, here are the main deadlines you should be aware of: 


  • Employers
      • Employers need to postmark and send out W-2s by January 31st so that employees can have their necessary documents by February.


  • Employees
    • Once you receive the documentation from your employer, you have until April 15 to file your taxes. If you don’t receive your tax information in February, be sure to follow up with your employer.

If you end up requiring more time because you can’t make the April deadline, you can ask the IRS for an extension using their convenient Free File system. This will get you an additional six months to get your taxes submitted. 

If, for some reason, you weren’t able to receive the right paperwork from your employer by the April deadline, you have the option to file a Form 4852 and estimate your wages instead. After which, you can still send in a Form 1040x if you do get a hold of your documents. 

If you have any questions about your taxes or need a CPA firm to make sure your forms are correct, give Hall & Company a call.