Education & Professional Designations
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting – California State Polytechnic University at Pomona, 1989
- Phone:949-910-4255 ext. 248
- Email: Click Here To Contact
Mike is a Director of Tax, focused on Specialty Tax Services at Hall & Company. He has more than 25 years of experience in public accounting and tax and has served a variety of businesses in the high-technology, consumer product, software, biotech, life science, healthcare, manufacturing, construction, professional service and not-for-profit industries.
He also has experience in the tax credits and incentives area. He is a nationally recognized leader in the Federal Credits and Incentives Tax specialty. He has conducted over 450 research credit studies for numerous companies in various industries, and has served as a representative before the IRS and state taxing authorities to support and defend numerous research credit claims for taxpayers. Mike has consulted on many other tax incentives related to domestic production, accounting methods, federal and state grant programs, and energy/“green” tax incentives including energy efficient building incentives. Mike has assisted clients in savings millions of tax dollars with the above incentives.
To learn more about the R&D Tax Credit, Click Here
He also has experience in financial accounting, reporting and management, auditing, and individual and business income tax. Mike has supervised compilations, audits and reviews for various clients, including small and medium sized businesses. Mike also has extensive experience in providing income tax planning, consulting and compliance services. He has also assisted individual income tax planning and has been involved in wealth transfer strategies by transferring business ownership to the next generation, thereby saving the client substantial estate tax. Over the course of his career, Mike has also been involved in the following areas: Tax Compliance, Corporate and Individual Tax Consulting and Planning, Estate Planning and Consulting, Tax Credits and Incentives Consulting-Federal and State, Corporate wide accounting policies and procedures, Corporate and organizational development, Contract negotiations, M&A assimilation and seller and buyer tax due diligence.
Prior to joining Hall & Company, Mike was the Managing Director at CBIZ MHM, LLC for 7 years in the Irvine office and led the firm wide National Federal Credits and Incentives Practice. Previous to this Mike was a tax partner at RSM International McGladrey for 18 years in both the Irvine and Pasadena offices and ran the tax credit specialty practice.
Throughout Mike’s career, he has authored several publications and conducted numerous presentations on current tax legislation, research and development tax credit issues and other tax related business incentives (The Tax Advisor, AICPA, ProVisors, San Diego Business Journal, & CFO.com). He has also given numerous presentations on such topics as: current tax legislation, research and development tax credit issues and other tax related business incentives for the following organizations:
- California Society of CPA’s
- American Bar Association
- Young Presidents’ Organization
- Seattle Business Journal’s Manufacturing Conference
- National Association of Manufacturers, Washington, D.C.
- R & D Credit Coalition, Washington, D.C.
- University of California, Irvine
- San Diego Venture Capital Roundtable
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) Conference
Professional & Business Affiliations
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of the California Society of Certified Public Accountants (CalCPA)
- Board member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants, Orange County/ Long Beach Chapter
- ProVisors Networking Organization
- Founding member of Fusion Leaders- Faith Based Leadership Organization in Orange County, California to equip business leaders